Wednesday 30 September 2015

Kitchen Inn - Calamvale


A Malaysian chain restaurant opened in Calamvale lately. Having stores in Perth and Melbourne, and being famous for their handmade noodles, I was keen to try out what they could offer. So we headed there for lunch one lazy Saturday Afternoon.


As mentioned, I really appreciate when a restaurant has their menu available to be seen outside. It made our deciding whether or not to try it out a lot more easier.


We were provided menus upon entering, it was one page folded over, but had a large selection of various famous Malaysian Dishes. 


My companion ordered the Sarawak Laksa, heralding from Borneo, its soup has a more red tinge due to the Sambal base in their soup, which in turn consists of Chilli and Shrimp with garlic and shallot. It was topped with chicken strips, omelette strips, fish cake and tofu puff. Compared to the other versions of Laksa though, it only came with one type of noodle, as opposed to two. My companion enjoyed it and said it was an interesting twist to her usual, although she said that the portion was definitely very small. She compared it to the "afternoon tea" size servings that one would get at Sunnybank stores. 



My other companion, ordered the signature Kampua Special. It was home made dry noodle, topped with roast pork, bbq pork and prawns. Again, he found the portion to be very small, but the roast pork had a nice crackling on the top, however the bbq pork was rather unnaturally red. It was a little concerning for my friend.


Whilst my companions had small serving sizes, my Bak Kut The with Kampua noodles was considerably larger (which resulted in them eating significant portions of my lunch).  Whilst it looks like only noodles in a pot, it actually had copious amounts of pork ribs slowly marinated in a herbal soup base down in the bottom of the pot. As my friend Burger Connoisseur would say, Bak Kut The is a very strong tasting dish, and not everyone likes it. However I found the herbal tastes to be very comforting and delicious. The Kampua Noodles had a smooth texture, and were cooked quite soft, which is just the way I like them. 

Price Range: $10 - $15 per person (having later asked my friend who recommended this place about their portion sizes though, he readily informed me that when he goes, he usually orders two mains instead of one =_=)

Taste: 7/10
Value: 5/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 5/10


Kitchen Inn Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment