Wednesday 16 September 2015

Ramen Marutama - Sunnybank Hills


Being quite the ramen fan, You can imagine my joy as Ra-Men Marutama opened at Sunnybank Hills. Having stores in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Canada and Indonesia, I was keen to try it out ASAP. With an old childhood friend visiting for a week, we headed there to catch up over a meal.


The menu was very simple, consisting of 3 sides, and 6 types of ramen.


Decor is simple, and the shop was quite small.



Cutlery and condiments were available on the table. I really liked the onion flakes, but my friend liked the special chili sauce more.


The special of the day was the Rib Cha Shu ramen. My friend ordered it with egg.


Another ordered the signature Marutama Ramen, which included pork strips and some seaweed, served with the plain wheat ramen.


I ordered the Tamago Ramen, being ramen served with a soft boiled egg. Compared to other ramen joints, Marutama Ramen has a chicken based soup, rather than a pork based tonkotsu. It was definitely a striking change from what I have had at Taros, Genkotsu, Ramen Champion and Hakataya.  I could taste the strong chicken flavours in the broth, which was thick for a chicken broth, but not thick when you compare it to a tonkotsu. I liked how the strips of pork were nice and soft, but note that there was a really high fat content in the meat, which made me quite guilty of eating something so unhealthy. Other than that,  tipped copious amounts of onion in the broth, which made it very fragrant. The noodles also had a nice al dente texture.

It was an interesting experience to have chicken broth ramen, but in the future though, I'd still enjoy pork based tonkotsu soup more.

Price Range: $11 - $17 per person

Taste: 7/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10



Ra-Men Marutama Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment