Saturday 7 November 2015

Sushi Edo - Sunnybank



For those who know me, they will know my adoration of the concept of flat rate sushi trains, where all dishes are the same price. Having been to several in Sydney and overseas, it is something I consider to be very deficient in Brisbane. However in the last couple of years, Sushi Edo has begun to fill the void. Having been to Sushi Edo at Newmarket and Elizabeth Street, it was long overdue for one to be opened at Sunnybank. I was quite pleased when I saw the announcement that one would be opening at Sunnybank Plaza, and seeing it open last week, I decided to go and try it out to see if it is on par with the other ones.



We arrived at 11.30am, and grabbed the last table next to the train, despite the fact that the restaurant is relatively large.


Like the other sushi edo restaurants, there is the option to order via electronic touch screen. It is no different at Sunnybank, although I note the addition of a VIP loyalty program, which I signed up for on the day.


We ordered hot tea to start, and I was surprised at the mismatched cups, especially for a newly opened restaurant, but it served its purpose to allow my companion and I to avoid any confusion as to which cup belonged to which person.


As usual, I started off with the salmon avocado nigiri. The portion was a bit small, but had a good rice to topping ratio, which I greatly enjoyed.


This was the Wagyu Tataki Nigiri, which was very lightly seared beef. I think that the beef was a bit chewy and could have been a bit better marbled. 


We shared a tobiko ship as well, and there was a fair amount of flying fish roe on top of the sushi.


As my regular readers would know, I do not go to a sushi store without ordering a Salmon hand roll. As you can see, the size was relatively generous, but there was quite a substantial amount of rice compared to the amount of salmon and avocado, but considering the price, it as well worth it. 



That day, we also tried the new item on the menu "Volcano", which was one piece sushi wrapped with two slices of salmon, topped with scallop, then seared and drenched with mayonnaise, spicy sauce and a bit of teriyaki sauce and garnished with tobiko. My companion and I found it to be very delicious and enjoyable.



By far, I considered the seared scallop to be the best of the dishes ordered, The scallops were very thickly cut, and expertly caramelised. They tasted fresh and were complemented well with the mayonnaise. 



Aside from the usual plates of sushi that we had, we also shared a bowl of chicken karaage udon. The problem with ordering by touch screen is that we are unable to add to adjustments to the order. As such, we were served with a bowl of udon with the fried chicken immersed in the soup. Needless to say, we extracted it immediately, but it was too late, the chicken was already quite saturated. The udon itself was warm and nourishing though, and I liked the added tofu and fish cake, which added a nice depth of texture to the bowl.

Price Range: $3.50 per plate

Taste: 7/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10


Sushi Edo Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment