Sunday 15 March 2020

The Journey - Brisbane CBD


Among the established Korean Restaurants in Brisbane City, one that has been around for a fairly long time, but I just hadn't had the opportunity to try out was The Journey, which is situated along Mary Street, not too far from my workplace. Went there on a weekend to meet up with a friend who had been out of town for a period of time for an informal catch up.



Running late, there wasn't much time for us to take a picture of the menu. From my recollection it was a vast assortment of set meals, notably rice or noodles and there was of course fried chicken as an option. The setup was fairly dim and although there weren't all that many other customers, we had a room to ourselves.




Ordering two large dishes to share, the first to arrive was the Stir Fried Bulgogi served on a grid iron. It came with some DIY nori rice balls. Given the price of $30, I would have expected roughly the size of two main dishes, but this was a little bit less than I would have thought. The beef was cooked through and a little hard to eat off the grid iron as it fell through the cracks. It was, however well seasoned and flavoursome, albeit a little coarse in texture. The rice had a good texture and I really enjoyed the fragrant nori.


Our second dish to share was the Korean Style Sausage and Ham HotPot. Being quite a fan of the Madtongsan variant of this dish provided a good benchmark for me to draw comparisons. In contrast, I found this version to be less flavoursome but with a greater variety of toppings. The cheese made for a good aesthetic touch but didn't add much by way of flavour. The sausage was abundant, but there wasn't too much by way of quantity of other toppings and I found myself missing the stronger kimchi taste of Madtongsan.


Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 6/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10
The Journey Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment