Thursday 25 June 2020

Superthing - West End



One of the few things that shot to popularity during the lock down period, baked goods was a great example of small luxuries you could still get and enjoy in the comfort of home without detracting too much from the experience you would have had dining in. Other than Agnes, another bakery that opened during this time of chaos was Superthing, a patisserie cafe located along Montague Street in West End. With restrictions easing, I headed over to check it out.



With its glass kitchen and displayed menu, it definitely brought back memories of my meals at Lune Croissanterie in Melbourne. The baked goods on offer were definitely far more bold than those at Lune though, with Matcha White Chocolate Croissants, Basque Cheesecake Cruffins, Tiramisu Croissants and more, it was a hard choice for me to make.


In the end, I got some take away to feed Dr L who had allegedly been working hard doing night shifts. Being as dutiful as I am, I had to make sure he was still alive and woke him up to some delicious baked goods and drinks.


Despite his protests for iced chocolate, I ordered him a hot chocolate because he shouldn't be drinking cold things in the middle of winter, especially first thing in the morning. I had my usual cappuccino. Both were fairly standard and not overly strong or rich. Having already had a batch brew earlier in the morning, I was expecting to be bouncing off walls from the second cup, this did not happen, much to my disappointment.


I had two croissants to go, despite being already quite large, both were substantially heavy.


Some people may have thought I would have ordered the Matcha Croissant, but due to the white chocolate elements, I was a little concerned about the potential sweetness so I opted for the Tiramisu instead. As mentioned above, it was definitely very heavy. Filled and even topped with a sweet cream cheese, it was quite light on coffee flavour. I feel that the cream overpowered the delicate buttery flavours of the croissant and it didn't embody the tiramisu as much as it could have.


Always a sucker for chocolate, Dr L had the Chocolate and Hazelnut Croissant. It was also packed with a rich chocolate filling and crushed hazelnuts. Again the rich and heavy filling took away from the crisp golden layers of the croissant, which would have been very enjoyable. I did however find the hazelnuts to be quite fragrant and enjoyed it more than the tiramisu one. Next time I'll definitely have to get the plain croissant to try instead.

Price Range: $10 - $20pp

Taste: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10
Superthing Bakery Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment