Wednesday 29 April 2015

Midam - Sunnybank Hills



For the last several weeks, I've had strong strong cravings for Korean BBQ. I've wanted to try Tobaki on several occasions and failed due to various reasons, I found Jongga to be too to go at short notice, so we ended up trying Midam. I had heard of Midam from several people over the past years, but have heard numerous bad reports, so I avoided it until now. 


Despite it being dinner time, the lunch sign was still up there. I would be interested to come back another day to try the lunch here. 


We arrived just after 6, and found it to be really quite crowded. My associate told me right after, that on peak times like Saturday night, there is almost no chance of getting a table without booking. Luckily my associate booked.




I found the decor to be a lot more fancy than I had previously expected from looking on the outside. There was a small indoors waterfall, and there was bamboo within the wooden furnishings. I really liked the peaceful atmosphere.


We were seated and given the regular cutlery.


Water was also provided quickly. It is also noteworthy that the tables had those buzzers installed. I've grown quite impartial to them, because they make it a lot easier to get the waiter's attention. 


Without further ado, the waiter came around and put the burning coals into the table, and pulled down the ventilator. 


To start off, we were given a small platter of meat. Initially, I found this a bit unnecessary as I thought we could easily go out and get it, but apparently what as provided to us was a premium wagyu steak that is only given once off.



Along with the meats, came the Banchan. There was the usual Kimchi, tofu, and what appeared to be either Aloe Vera or Konjac Jelly. Either way, it was a nice refreshing way to start a heavy meal.


We all elected to go without rice for the day, and were given bowls of cabbage salad. I wasnt too keen on veges at the offset, but after grilling so many meats, I definitely appreciated having some salad to wash down the heavy meal.


Chili sauce and what appeared to be sesame oil were also provided.


Without waiting any longer, we began grilling the meats. You can really appreciate the nice marbling of the beef in this photo. I definitely enjoyed it a lot.


After finishing the first plate (exceptionally quickly), we went off to get other meats at the bar. This is obtained on a self serve basis. 


In the second (and following rounds) we obtained lots of marinated beef, wagyu beef strips, marinated pork, pork belly as well as chicken. Apparently there were some selections of seafood, but we completely ignored them for the meat. I guess its also good to mention here that each table is only given one plate to gather food. Perhaps they use it as a mechanism to ensure wastage is minimised. Anyway, after all the juices are left on the plate, the waiter seemed happy to swap us a new plate, so that didnt turn out to be too much of an issue.


Whilst most of the meat was pretty delicious, I found the marinated beef to be the best. It was flavoursome, tender and not very fatty. For those of you who are familiar with me, I am also very peculiar with the thickness of the cuts of meat. I found the meats provided to be cut at an ample thickness, which is not always the case for other Korean BBQs that I have attended. Another worthy mention is the pork belly, which was cooked to perfection, with just the right amount of crunchiness.


We finished well within the two hour eating limit, and were very satisfied. Undoubtedly, we will be back soon.

Price Range: $30 per person

Taste: 8/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Environment: 8/10



Midam Korean Charcoal BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment