Thursday 28 April 2016

Espresso and Matcha's Foodie Odyessy - Melbourne - Day 1 Afternoon Tea : Maxims Cakes


With the drop in value of the AUD (as compared to several years ago), it was no surprise that I opted to do a couple trips domestically this year instead of heading overseas. After my trip to Sydney (which had been planned a year in advance), my Confidante asked me to accompany him on a trip to Melbourne to explore as well as visit family. Due to the time of our flights we weren't able to grab any breakfast, and it was after lunch time by the time we got there. With our long anticipated dinner afterwards, I tried very hard not to ruin my appetite. With our hotel situated in Chinatown, one of the first places that caught my attention on our first stroll was Maxim's Cakes


With it's assortment of Hong Kong style cakes and breads, it reminded me strongly of the bakeries from home.


What really caught our attention though, was the freshly baked egg tarts, still sitting in their little baking trays. 


We bought two to share, and was delighted to feel that the tarts were still warm. 


Despite the fact that they had a biscuit base as opposed to my preference to the flaky pastry base, the custard was fresh, soft and warm, but not very strong in egg taste. 


We also ordered a tiramisu to take away.


The tiramisu was quite delicious, and in my opinion, one of the best I have ever bought (of course, home made ones are the best). Containing all the essential elements of mascarpone cheese, salvadori biscuits and espresso, it was lightly sprinkled with cocoa and topped with a strawberry. The only thing that was missing was the coffee liqueur, which I suppose was to make the cake more children friendly. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Price Range: $3 pp - $10pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 9/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10

Maxims Cakes and Pastry Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment