Monday 29 May 2017

Foxy Bean - Woolloongabba


A close friend recently changed jobs and started working at Woolloongabba, being a new local in the area, he was able to give me quite a few good tips on where to find good food nearby. With that in mind, one of the first things he texted me when he got there was that Foxy Bean was a definite must go, so off I went for a weekend brunch. Deciding to stroll there from the Mater Hill station seemed to be an easy feat when loking on google maps, but the hike turned out to be far more intense than I had thought.


We arrived at around 10.30am on Saturday morning, and were soon given a table. What appeared to be a small cafe turned out to be quite spacious on the inside.


We were seated very promptly and provided water and menus.

 

Breakfasts were more or less the traditional staple that you would get at places akin to Double Shot more than the modern styles of The Priory.

 

Our drinks came somewhat quickly after ordering. After the long walk, I opted for a watermelon juice to cool down, whilst my companion had an English breakfast. My juice wasn't very sweet at all, but rather bland and tasteless (I guess it isn't watermelon season at the moment), but what really concerned me was the fact that the juice started to layer into a pink foam on top and a transparent yellow liquid underneath after letting it sit for a while. My companion really enjoyed her tea though, which was a nice strong brew that yielded three cups.


Our food arrived before long, and my companion who is a massive fan of Canadian Breakfasts ordered their Buttermilk Hotcakes, with a an extra side of bacon. Digging into it, she mentioned that it was one of the fluffiest pancakes she had tasted in Brisbane, being on a completely different level to pancake manor apparently. She said the mascarpone and berry compote gave it the perfect balance of sweetness, and grabbing a bite myself, I would agree. 


As usual, I opted for the Big Breakfast, with poached eggs, bacon, lamb chipolatas, slow roasted tomato, tomato relish, potato rosti and sourdough. Only now after reading the menu again do I realise that I should also have been served mushrooms, which were evidently missing from the plate. My tomatoes were also barely grilled, let alone slow roasted, which ensured it remained a little sour and still quite hard. Other than these two criticisms, my breakfast was quite delicious, with my poached eggs having the required level of runniness in its centre, potato rostis were crunchy and fresh, and the bacon was quite ample and satisfying. I also liked how there were two wedges of toast when some other places only serve one.

Price Range: $20 - $25pp

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10

Foxy Bean Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment