Monday 25 December 2017

Norman Hotel - Woolloongabba


Coming up to the end of the year, it was time for me to reconsider all the foods I had eaten and try to tick off a couple more places before time was up. Only then did it strike me that I hadn't had a good steak in a very long time. So with that in mind, the Tomcat family and I headed over to the worst vegetarian restaurant in Brisbane, the infamous Norman hotel to scratch our itch for steak. 



Having made a reservation earlier, we were promptly shown to our seats. 





Like all the good steakhouses there was a selection on display which made it all the more difficult for us to make our selection when we wanted them all. Nevertheless a choice had to be made and we selected three different steaks to allow us to try a little of everything. 


Other than the steak cabinet, another thing that I always adore is the glass windows in which we could use to peer in and admire our steaks as they cooked. 



Over at the well stocked bar, alcoholic Tomcat ordered a beer whilst Mrs Tomcat and I settled for lemon lime bitters. 



Since the place wasn’t overly packed, our meals came quite quickly. 



Tomcat, as expected, ordered the big Norman rump, medium with pepper sauce. It came with a perfectly pink centre and was definitely very big. Trying some myself, I really enjoyed the rich beef flavours and the spicy pepper zing, but the texture was unfortunately a little tough and chewy for my liking.


Mrs Tomcat had the fillet Mignon, which came wrapped in bacon and covered with mushroom sauce. This was by far the best steak of our evening, striking a perfect balance between flavor and texture. If only they had a larger size I would have ordered it as well. 


My choice for the evening was the rib fillet, cooked rare with pepper sauce. Whilst definitely not as chewy as Tomcat’s, I've had far smoother rib fillets at other steakhouses. Again I liked the zing of the peppercorn sauce much more than the rich creamy mushroom sauce. At this point, special mention must be given to the jacket potato, which was deliciously fluffy on the inside in addition to being topped with smokey bacon, probably one of the most perfect steak sides I've had in a while.



Price Range: $30 - $50pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 8/10

Norman Hotel Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment