Monday 4 December 2017

Your Personal Chef - Sunnybank


Read a couple of reviews about the newly opened restaurant, named Your Personal Chef which had opened in the shop which used to house Hometown, in the car park of Sunnybank Plaza. Having heard from the grapevine that it was supposed to be Hong Kong style cuisine, I was expecting something along the lines of Coffee Square or Cha Kee, but the name really didn't give much away.





Arriving a little past 6, the restaurant was only half full, but it filled up quite quickly after our arrival. Like most reviewers, my companion and I found their setup to be really adorable and quirky with their mix of both Marvel and DC heroes.


 

Paper menus were provided (excuse the shadow) and options were as adventurous and exciting as they were colourful! Whilst the menu was not very long, it covered quite an assortment of Chinese dishes from both north and south, and even had Unagi Rice, but this was definitely not standard Hong Kong cuisine.


Despite the paper menu, orders had to be made via tablet. This was fine for us, but an elderly couple next to us found it a little confusing and had to waive a staff member over to take their orders.


Unlike some other accounts. Our food arrived most promptly.


I was most excited to try out the crab roe salad, and it came out just like the picture, a massive mountain of flying fish roe roe! Being awfully impressed, I dug in, expecting to hit salad soon. But this did not actually happen. I kept digging and digging and only near the very bottom did I find a tiny little amount of coleslaw. The ratio of roe to slaw was roughly 4:1, and even if this was flipped it would have been too much of a good thing for me. Despite this, I dug in. Expecting to have a wonderfully popping experience with the crab roe, one bite was enough to demonstrate to me how unfresh it was. It was literally fishy orange mush. Hoping to get some sort of crunch from the coleslaw, this too was mushy and a little too sweet for my taste. Whilst it looks amazing, this dish is a clear demonstration of how looks can be far different from substance.



Next up was the Braised Eel with Rice. Being the hopeless cook that I am, this is a familiar dish to me as it just involves throwing a precooked eel into the grill and waiting for several minutes for it to be finished. There was no way in my mind that this could be executed badly. Unfortunately the dish was served lukewarm, much to my chagrin. Sides comprised of the mushy coleslaw, some seaweed salad and two pieces of pickled radish. The coleslaw again was a disappointment, and my friend bit into the radish and spat it out as it was overwhelmingly fishy. The remaining wakame seaweed salad was alright though. 


Our last dish was the Gourmet Pork Ribs. This was the best of the three, but by no means impressive. It also wasn't too hot, and the portion was a little small. The "ribs" had far more bone than it had meat in it and the sauce was basic sweet and sour, no the gourmet that we were anticipating. 

 

My companion and I also ordered two drinks, she had a strawberry watermelon smoothie, which was large but not too impressive in the taste department as it had copious amounts of artificial flavouring. I had the Lemon Lime Mint Soda, and I would have liked to say that it at least tasted like lemonade, but it was like drinking purple food colouring in sweet soda water, without even a hint of lemon or lime. At least it had mint syrup though.


Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 2/10
Value: 4/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10


Your Personal Chef Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment