Saturday 23 May 2015

Au Cirque - New Farm


After the last time I successfully got up early on a weekend, I made a choice to continue on my early streak. After my sister went to Au Cirque a couple of weeks ago and wouldnt stop ranting about how good it was, I knew that I had to go soon. So last Saturday, I managed to persuade my confidant to go with me.


It was quite crowded by 10 am, and we had to sit upstairs. I found it new and interesting how the tables were shared, although my confidant really didnt like it as much. He much values privacy a lot. 


We were provided water very promptly after being seated.


The menu itself was quite simple, but most of the options were really quite captivating. 


I started off with a Cappucino. I would have liked it to be a tad stronger, and I found it to have a bit more cocoa than normal. When there is excess cocoa on top like this one, for me there is a real risk of inhaling the powder into my windpipe whilst I am drinking it, which then leads to really embarrassing coughing fits.



Our meals arrived after quite a significant wait. We shared them together. First up was the Croque Madame. I had one before at Pourboys on Adelaide Street in the CBD and thoroughly enjoyed it.  In this instance, the croque madame was very rich, having really thick cheese and mustard in a ham sandwich, topped with egg. Despite breakfasts tending to be one of the more heavier meals, I did really find the dish to be even heavier than normally expected for breakfast. It definitely helped to have a glass of water and coffee to wash it down. In my opinion, the highlight of this dish was definitely the fried egg on top. Being quite pedantic about the way eggs are cooked, I really like how it was still runny on top, but nice and crispy on the bottom. I also particularly liked how it was sprinkled with cracked pepper.




We also shared the Breakfast Pide. Apparently Pide is a a sort of Turkish flatbread. I liked this a lot better than the Croque Madame actually. I really enjoyed the bread, it had a really porous texture which was crusty but light. The bacon was also cooked to have a nice crispy edge on it, but I guess the most defining feature on the pide was the lettuce. Normally, I am not big on having salad on breakfast, but I found it really balanced the meal out in making it a bit lighter. Needless to say, this was definitely one of the better breakfasts that I've had, if not one of the best.


Price Range: $10 - $20 per person

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 6/10 (would prefer food to come out faster)
Environment: 6/10 (not used to communal tables)

Au Cirque on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment