Thursday 14 May 2015

Teppanyaki Lovers - Brisbane CBD


One of the Japanese restaurants which I frequent at for work lunch is Teppanyaki Lovers, which is found on the bottom level of the Myer Centre. Run by the same people who operate Ku-O and Nigi Nigi, they refurbished Teppanyaki Lovers recently to keep it in line with the wooden themed decor.


The menu can be found on the outer window of the store. It consists of some rice dishes, noodles dishes, bentos and okonomiyaki.


We ordered at the counter and sat at the row of seats right outside the glass window. This ensured that we were lucky enough to get a front row seat of the chef cooking our lunch.


My friend's drink came out first. It was the Taro Blues Frappe. She really liked it, and commented that it was a huge portion for the price. The taro was good and the blueberries were a nice touch.


My friend's seafood okonomiyaki came out first. I got to try a bit of it, and really enjoyed the subtle flavours of the pancake, which added depth to the seafood.  I was mildly surprised at the inclusion of noodles under the pancake though, because the other ones I've tried at eat street and other Japanese restaurants did not have noodles in them. My friend assured me however, that this was a common occurrence in some provinces in Japan.



I opted for my usual serve of Chicken Katsudon, with a side of Takoyaki. I find the Chicken Katsudon at Teppanyaki Lovers to be particularly better than the other ones I've had because of how generous they are with the chicken to rice ratio. I always end up with a couple of piece of chicken left over every time I eat it (which is far better than the alternative). I also enjoy how much sauce is put on the chicken, it definitely adds a lot of necessary moisture to the dish. The only suggestion that I think needs improvement is that the chicken I've had there is consistently over toasted and darker coloured than I would have preferred it.


The takoyaki was also served piping hot, crispy on the outside, but creamy on the inside. I found the octopus bits to be a bit lacking on the inside though. I would have liked it better if there were a couple more pieces of octopus inside of it.

Price Range: $10 - $15 per person

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 6/10 (was a bit slow)
Environment: 7/10


Teppanyaki Lovers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment