Tuesday 26 May 2015

Hakataya - Brisbane CBD


Having recently been to Genkotsu and Taros, I thought it would be nice to go to Hakataya at Myer for lunch. I arrived to find a small crowd lined up. Thankfully the line moved quick, and I was able to order rather promptly.


I got a number, and seated myself at the bar. I immediately noted the lack of usual condiments. There was no chilli oil and when I asked the waitress, there was apparently one sesame grinder for the whole store. It was being used by the table behind me, so I didnt wanna bother them to get it.


My ramen arrived a while after, with a side of pickled veges.


The first thing I noted from this, was the significant layer of oil on top of the soup. As far as my knowledge of ramen soup goes, I believe that if cooked long enough, the oil should ideally be emulsified into the soup (like taros or genkotsu). The soup itself could also have been a bit richer for Hakata style ramen. One of the other things I noted was that the chef had put the meat onto the noodles last


I also found the noodles to be relatively undercooked as well, in comparison to any of the other ramen that I've had before.


I also got a side serving of Gyoza. I was actually quite disappointed by them, they tasted no better than the frozen ones that I pan fry at home. The skins were stuck together, and rather thick for my taste. I couldn't separate them without ripping the skin from the adjoining dumpling. The insides were also rather bland, and dumpling sauce wasnt provided to me either. 
Overall, I wouldnt say that I had a particularly bad experience at Hakataya Myer, but I will say that for a Hakataya store, I was rather disappointed with the quality. Given the numerous ramen places within Brisbane CBD, there are many better options available. 

Price Range: $10 - $20 per person

Taste: 5/10
Value: 4/10
Service: 5/10
Environment: 4/10




Hakataya Ramen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment