Wednesday 20 May 2015

Kadoya - CBD



In my humble opinion, Elizabeth Arcade is like a miniature Chinatown situated within the CBD, you can find a large range of asian eats in there, including Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, and a couple of bubble tea joints. 


Despite the relatively large variety of choices we have, when I go to Elizabeth Arcade, there is no difficulty in deciding where to lunch. Kadoya is always my first pick. It offers a large variety of Japanese set meals and sides. I've been going to this place since early in my university days, and definitely hold a soft spot in my heart for it.


Orders are taken at the counter, and numbers are given. Water and condiments are obtained by DIY basis. As an interesting point, of all the restaurants that I have frequented, Kadoya seems to have the fastest speed when it comes to food being served. I love the efficiency and it goes a long way in the tight lunch hours.


On this occasion, my companion ordered a Chicken Katsu Bento Box. I've had their bento boxes on multiple occasions, and find that for $13 its a great deal, because it ensures that you will definitely be full. I also find the rice to mains/sides ratio to be very generous. I have been to other Japanese restaurants where the bento box is half filled with rice, and half filled with mains/sides. At Kadoya though, only one quarter is rice, and the remaining three quarters are comprised of mains and sides, which means you will definitely not get bored with your meal. The added miso soup on the side is also a nice touch.


My companion and I also got a takoyaki to share. For $3.90, it was a good deal for five. I like how they aren't completely drenched in sauce, and I can taste a fair amount of octopus in the takoyaki.



On this occasion though, I ordered the Karaage Chicken Ramen. Compared to the Hakata Style Ramen (creamy pork bone soup with white straight noodles, e.g. Hakataya, Taros, Kenkotsu), Kadoya offers Tokyo style ramen, which I actually prefer far more (Tokyo Style involves a clear light broth, with curly yellow egg noodles). As usual, I was quite impressed with the noodles. The light broth really accentuates the egg flavours in the noodle. In this instance, the chicken was a bit soggy, but it was well marinated and quite tasty. The portion was also quite large and generous. I really enjoyed it.

Price Range: $10 - $20 per person

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 8.5/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10

Kadoya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment