Thursday 3 August 2017

Pourboy - South Bank


Managed to schedule a brunch with Queen V in between two interstate trips. Having long missed the delightful brunch offerings at Pourboy (since my office relocation several years ago), I was quite pleased to hear that they had opened a store at SouthPoint (near Burger Project), and made some plans to check it out and see if it is as good as the original.


Arriving just past 9.30, I was pleased to see their specialty berry muffins ready to order, although that morning, we were seeking out a full cafe breakfast instead. (As I write this, I am regretting not getting one takeaway).


Considering their high calibre of food (as far as I was concerned, their Wharf street store is one of the best cafes in Brisbane), I was quite surprised to see that we were the only table there. Having said that, by the time we started eating, it had started to fill up.


The breakfast menu was short, but concise, and consisted of quite a few modern and innovative combinations, which we were definitely keen to try.



Starting off, I grabbed my regular cappuccino. I really enjoyed their Mecca blend, which was strong in body being overly acidic. It was definitely one of the better coffees I've had in a while. Queen V, who arrived a little later than me, saw me savouring my coffee and ordered the same. 


Our food arrived soon after the coffee, much to our delight. To share, we ordered the PB Big Breakfast, as well as the Croque Madame.


The PB Big Breakfast was an interesting combination, consisting of Serrano Ham, Tomatoes, Baby Peppers, Chorizo, Avocado, Goats Cheese, Eggs and a piece of Sourdough. My companion, ever the fan of goats cheese, dug in enthusiastically. I tentatively followed suit, and found it to be very rich and creamy without an overpowering taste. The chorizos on the other hand, were very spicy and strong in taste, as was the delicious serrano ham. The peppers and tomato were sweet and balanced the dish, and for me the highlight would definitely have been the avocado which was rich, creamy and well seasoned.


My pick of the day was without a doubt the Croque Madame, containing melted swiss cheese, shaved ham, dijonnaise, and topped with a poached egg, it was quite perfect. The toast was wonderfully crunchy but not overly hard, the melty swiss cheese complimented  the shaved ham, and the dijonnaise tied it all together. The egg on top was also cooked just right, with a runny centre, but whites definitely cooked through, I really enjoyed the dish.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10


Pourboy Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment