Wednesday 12 November 2014

Fat Dumpling - Fortitude Valley



Last week, on a dumpling craving, we went to Fat Dumpling in Fortitude Valley, a couple metres away from Harajuku Gyoza. Going in a large group of over ten people, I was slightly concerned about whether we would be able to get seating during the peak lunch hour. These concerns were unfounded, of course, with an associate having made a reservation in advance.




We had a large table set up and were quickly seated whilst a few seats were added.



Like a number of other places, the menu also doubles up as a placemat.




While the decor reminded me a bit of Little Red Dumpling, with its brick walls and similar style decorations.



After a lot of confusion during the ordering process, the food started to arrive, beginning with the Crystal Cucumber Salad.


Steamed Dumplings


Chicken Skewers (with very spicy sauce)


Lamb Skewers


The Pork Belly was a very popular dish. Too bad they only had one serving left that day. My associate was also very confused when it was not served with rice.


The Salt and Pepper Squid was nice. I got to try a piece, and found the batter to be light, but the squid to be a bit rubbery.





My order in a dumpling place never really varies from one serving of Xiao Long Bao, and one serving of pan fried pork dumplings. While the skin was not overcooked like Dumpling Republic, I felt it could have been more thin. Indeed, I felt maybe the pan fried dumplings had a thinner skin. The soup itself was present, but lacking in quantity, but the meat was nice. 


Whilst my pan fried pork dumplings came out significantly later than everything else, I thoroughly enjoyed them. The skin was thin, the bottom was really crispy, and surprisingly, there was piping hot soup inside of it. I almost got it onto the people around me by inadvertently biting into it without looking.

Overall, my experience at Fat Dumpling was largely positive, despite a couple hiccups during the ordering process, and the wait for the last dish which I would attribute to the owners not being used to such a large group. The food was quite nice, and the service was friendly.

Price Range: $15 - $25 per person

Taste: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10


Fat Dumpling on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment