Wednesday 19 November 2014

Jamies Italian - Brisbane CBD




After going to Sydney last year, I had been waiting with anticipation for MONTHS upon hearing that Jamie's Italian would be opening in Brisbane. It was all hush hush, and the opening date wasnt widely advertised. Imagine my excitement today when I read that it had opened yesterdayヾ(@^▽^@)ノ! I knew that I had a responsibility to report back to my devoted readers about it, so despite all the storms and hail warnings, I grabbed a couple of friends and went immediately (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))!




Initially, my first thought was to book a table to ensure that we'd have a table. Unfortunately they were completely booked out on their website. Nevertheless, given the storms, we tried our luck in walking in with the hope that we'd be able to wait and score a table. When we arrived, we found a small line at the door, luckily it moved fast. I noted that a number of individual people tried to get a table for friends who had not yet arrived, and were turned down. Imagine my delight when we were given a table without waiting!☆*・゜゚・*(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆







Despite the small shopfront, the restaurant was very large, and even had another level below. We were allocated a table in the lower level, which was decorated in a very homey rustic kind of way.





It was interesting that instead of serviettes, they had tea towels for each customer, which might be fine for the opening, but maybe not as a long term option.


Right after sitting down, our friendly waitress brought us water. I found their amicable efficiency refreshing.



After we ordered, another friend called to say that he would like to join, the waitresses set up another spot really quickly, and put an express order on the latecomer's meal as well. I was very very impressed.



This is the pasta I ordered, the Sausage Pappardelle. It was very yummy, the pasta was an interesting texture. The thing about freshly made pasta (such as in Jamies, and in Vapiano), as compared to the ones you buy in the supermarket, is that even a small amount of fresh pasta is able to keep you very full for a very long time٩(^ᴗ^)۶. When I saw the plate, I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be enough, but that was completely unfounded. The sauce was nice and herb-y, the sausage mince was full of flavour, and I really enjoyed the crunchy breadcrumbs, which added another dimension to the dish.



One friend ordered the Truffle Tagliatelle. I looked at his dish and thought it looked quite bland, so I asked to try some. It was surprisingly light but strongly flavorsome. I particularly liked the truffle flavours infused in the pasta sauce.


The third friend ordered a small portion of Tagliatelle Bolognese, it had the same yummy bread crumbs as my dish, however it didn't really have as much meat as expected.


Last year when I went to Sydney, I got to try the Famous Polenta Chips. As a principle, I always order what the shop is famous for, because that is theoretically what they should do best. It was really nice, but what I actually would have liked to order were the Posh Chips. I got my opportunity tonight. The chips were crispy, not overly oily, and sufficiently cheesy without being over the top. Thoroughly enjoyable.



I also ordered a flat white. It was a bit smaller than I would have liked, and could be a bit stronger, but the milk was really creamy. A really nice ending to a very enjoyable meal!

Overall, I am very very happy that Jamies Italian finally opened in Brisbane, I am also glad that it is able to maintain the same level as the long established Sydney branch. The service was warm and friendly, the food was homey and comforting. I will definitely be back(๑>ᴗ<๑).

Price Range: $20 - $30 per person

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 8.5/10


Jamie's Italian on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment