Wednesday 26 November 2014

Sweet Treats - Runcorn


I am a firm believer that the best way to end a night out is with dessert (before going home to play computer games into the early hours of the morning). 


I went there on a Saturday night, after going to Eat Street, and found the place packed. There was literally only one spare table when we arrived.


Sweet Treats offers a rather diverse range of desserts, including western cakes, waffles and Chinese soy custards not to mention quite a large assortment of drinks.


After ordering, we were given a number for the food to be brought out to us.



The first to come out was my 'Tiramisu in a Jar' which had a scoop of ice cream on the side. 


The mascarpone was smooth and light, whilst the biscuits were nice and soft. I would have liked it a bit better if it had stronger coffee. Nevertheless, it was one of the better commercial tiramisus which I have tasted. The ice cream though, was probably a bit too sweet for my liking, and I would have liked it better if it was indicated on the menu that tiramisu was served with accompanying ice cream.












This is the traditional soy custard, served cold with syrup. It was light and smooth, very enjoyable on a hot summers night. My friend who ordered it claims it is the best soy custard in Brisbane.


The one desert we did not enjoy that night was the Cookies and Cream Cheesecake. Coming from an Asian background, the one thing which completely destroys a dessert is being too sweet. In this case, the cake was exceptionally sweet, not to mention quite hard.


The Coffee Slice was a much better alternative, being sweetened to a much more reasonable level, it was coated in chocolate, and had layers much like an Opera Cake. In fact, I would definitely consider it an opera cake in substance, even if not in name. I really enjoyed it.


In terms of drinks, the Matcha Latte served at Sweet Treats was one of the best I have ever tried. The fallacy with many local Matchas, is that due to the lack of demand, many shops serve drinks made from premix. This usually means that there can be no adjustments to the level of sweetness. I was particularly impressed with the Matcha at Sweet Treats, because it was served unsweetened, and the end user could add sugar to their own liking. Other than that, it had a very strong matcha taste, whilst being very creamy and milky.









With the standard of the Matcha Latte, one couldnt blame me for having high expectations for my Matcha Affogato. However, impressed I was not. The matcha ice cream (which substituted the regular vanilla ice cream in affogato) was really underwhelming and bland in comparison to the Matcha Latte. The coffee was nice and strong though. 

Overall, I have very mixed feelings about Sweet Treats, it could be very very good, or very disappointing. Having said that, since I have experienced what is good and what's not, I wouldnt mind going back another day to try out other dishes with a cup of their Matcha Latte.

Price Range: $5 - $15 per person

Taste: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 7/10

Sweet Treats Dessert Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment