Friday 17 July 2015

Espresso & Matcha's Gluttonous Sojourn to Sydney - Day 1


With a friend visiting from overseas, Espresso and Matcha decided to go for a week's holiday in Sydney, in order to take my friend around for a bit of sightseeing, in addition to trying out interesting restaurants in Sydney.

Being passionate about Japanese food, we decided to check out the local sushi right after checking into our hotel (After stopping at Uniqlo, Haighs, Muji and Kinokuniya). We found our target, Sushi Hotaru, situated on the second level of The Galleries. With a flat rate of $3 per plate, we definitely wanted to try it out and compare it to the other sushi places in Brisbane.


Similar to Sushi Edo, patrons can also order on a touch screen.


We ordered hot green tea to start off our meal.


We started off with two salmon hand rolls to share. Whilst it as freshly made with crispy seaweed, I could definitely see the difference to other hand rolls I've had. The topping to rice ratio was  one of the worst that I had seen, and the salmon was all gone after one bite, leaving a little bit of avocado and a very large amount of rice. I guess for $3, you can't expect too much.


I also had the Unagi Nigiri, which was considerably more generous in topping, and the unagi was nice and toasty.


The highlight of the meal for me was the Salmon and roe ship, which I've never had before. It was a sushi ship, half filled with salmon roe and half filled with salmon sashimi. I found the flavours blended together very well and I really liked this variation.


We finished off with soft shell crab hand rolls, Again there was quite copious amounts of rice, but there was ample amounts of soft shell crab to make the hand roll more balanced.

Sushi Hotaru

Price Range: $3 per plate of sushi.

Taste: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 7/10



Next we headed to 85 degrees bakery, for an after dinner snack. Without a doubt, 85 degrees is my favourite bakery in all of Australia. You may ask, dear reader, "Why is that?". But a picture is better than a thousand words, so rather than trying to explain to you, I will leave the following pictures here:





Every time I go, I am sure to get the signature 85 degrees coffee with one third sugar, its definitely something I'll miss when I go back to Brisbane.


 

After deliberating for a long period of time, I ended up buying one Tiramisu, and a Strawberry Bubble. The tiramisu was delicious as usual, being very creamy, whilst having a strong coffee taste to the biscuit. The strawberry bubble was equally as delightful, being a sponge base topped with strawberry mousse. I found it to be very light and enjoyable.

85 Degrees Bakery

Price Range: $4 - $6 per cake

Taste: 9/10
Value: 9/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10




Click to add a blog post for Sushi Hotaru on Zomato Click to add a blog post for 85 Degrees Bakery & Cafe on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment