Wednesday 22 July 2015

Espresso & Matcha's Gluttonous Sojourn to Sydney - Day 6


On our second last day in Sydney, we woke up late again. We decided to spend the day buying things in anticipation of our pending return to Brisbane. 


By lunch time, we were wondering what we ought to have. To this I decided to go try out the place I would probably regret if I didnt eat before I left. So we ended up going to Umi, outside of the George Street Cinemas.




Like Sushi Hotaru, Umi offers all plates of sushi (not sashimi) at a set price. In this instance, it was $3.30.


I particularly liked the neon signage on the wall which was vibrant and reminiscent of Japan.

 

We started off our meal with hot green tea as usual. I found it a bit lacking in taste compared to other places I've been in Sydney. Nevertheless, the waiter was friendly and cheerful when serving us tea.



We had a large variety of dishes, including salmon sashimi, The sashimi was $7 rather than $3.30, but I enjoyed the thick cuts. The unagi was tasty and warm, but rather small.

 

We also had the lobster ship, ikura ship and ebi fri nigiri. I was a bit disappointed at the lack of ikura on the ship, other than that, the ebi fry was cold by the time we had it, the lobster ship was quite enjoyable though.



Generally speaking, I found the portions of nigiri were rather small, but considering it was $3.30 per plate, it was still good value for money.


We finished off with hand rolls, which were made fresh. The seaweed was cripsy, and the fillings were far more ample than the ones provided in sushi hotaru.


As you can see, the toppings went all the way down to the bottom of the hand roll, which I really appreciate.


Umi Sushi

Price Range: $3.30 per plate

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10


Following that, we trekked down to HayMarket to grab some pretty famous preserved meats at Wong's Fine Food to bring back home. Apparently its quite the icon, and many Brisbane residents consider it a must buy for when they go to Sydney. Apparently they used to run a store called Wong's BBQ, but decided to cut out on the BBQ side of things and focus more on dried and preserved foodstuffs.




There was quite a selection of preserved sausages and preserved duck.


I bought a pack home. I find it to be quite delicious and reminds me of the preserved meats I've had in Hong Kong. Steaming it on rice makes for a simple and tasty meal.


For dinner that night, we had Mcdonalds. I was quite reluctant to post this, as I dont like to comment much on fast food chains, but my companion saw the advertisements about the "Create Your Taste" event happening across Australia, and requested that we try it. 





For a Mcdonalds burger. I liked it. It was much better than the average run of the mill Big Mac, although definitely not comparable to Miel or Miss Kay's, it was still better than what I had at Hard Rock Cafe


Click to add a blog post for Umi Sushi Express on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment