Monday 27 June 2016

Mizu - Teneriffe


With my love for Japanse food, I have long wanted to try out Mizu at Teneriffe. Unfortunately for me, being lazy and situated in the south side meant that it took a while before I had the time to trek up and try it out (which actually happened because I overslept brunch time). Despite the popularity of the shopping strip, we found it relatively easy to grab street parking nearby.


We were promptly seated upon entering, and given menus. I liked how they had quite a lot of varieties, including sushi, sashimi, and set meals, but noted the lack in noodle varieties. 


Their massive fish posters on the wall told me how serious they were with their seafood. Of course that meant that to start our meal, I got .......


A plate of medium sized sashimi to share (of course).  It contained kingfish slices, tuna and our favourite, salmon. The fish was very fresh and generously sliced. I particularly enjoyed the firm texture of the kingfish, but would have preferred to have a portion of freshly ground wasabi to accompany instead. The portion was served upon a bed of salad, noticeably with seaweed, which I enjoyed greatly.


My friend ordered the Wagyu Yakiniku Teishoku (excuse the blurry photo). Despite the wagyu nametag, he found it to be a bit chewy and not as tender as one would expect wagyu to be. The sauce was warm and delicious though, and the salad was fresh and yummy. The sides were also very flavoursome, with deep fried salmon in some sweet and sour sauce, but we would have liked it to be warm instead of cool. The miso soup was quite comforting in the cool weather, and we could taste that it was evidently different from the regular instant types.


I ordered the Pork Katsu bento box, which came with more sashimi, to my greatest delight. It also came with two fried dumplings, some of that sweet and sour fish, some garden salad, and miso along with rice and of course, pork. Being a fan of fresh dumplings (both boiled and pan fried, I wasn't too keen on the relatively stale deep fried dumplings. Again, the sashimi was quite delicious and fresh, which was great, but the two main elements of the bento, namely the pork katsu and rice, weren't executed as well as we would have liked, as the rice was long grain and quite coarse, whilst the pork was smaller than I would have expected, whilst being a bit soggy and inundated with sauce.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 6/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 6/10 (quite a few flies despite the winter, and table sticky despite being wiped down)

Mizu Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment