Wednesday 16 January 2019

Espresso & Matcha's Epicurean Quest - Perth: Tbsp Bayswater


Having eaten a few days of standard eggs on toast for breakfast, I started to bore of my usual so tried to shake things up. Having seen the interesting fusion Asian dishes on the menu of Tbsp in Bayswater, I thought to give it a shot seeing as it was on our way to work anyway.


Getting in just past opening time, I was pleased to see quite a few customers already, signifying its obvious popularity.

 

Food and drink menu were provided promptly and we ordered via counter service. I liked the Asian elements of bulgogi, pandan, and bibimbap on their menu, but had long decided what I was going to order before even seeing it.


Our drinks came a short while after we put our order in.


Iron Fist ordered his default flat white. He liked it and said that it gave it the caffeine he desperately needed to start the day.


Wanting something different, I had the matcha latte. It was very milky and creamy but not very strong in matcha. I've definitely had stronger at Sonder near home and at Cafe Cre Asion in Sydney. Next time I'll definitely order it with an extra shot of espresso.


Food came after a brief interlude, Iron Fists was fairly standard whilst mine was definitely not your usual breakfast.


As a big fan of kale, he had the Kale and Feta Scrambled Eggs. He loved this dish, noting the freshness of kale, the smooth silky scrambled eggs which came out with just the right consistency and the rich creamy feta. Ciabatta on the side was also much adored with generous amounts of butter and toasted to near perfection.


Missing home a fair bit, I had Chicken Congee with chicken ham, slow cooked egg, pickled cucumber, crispy shallots, and spring onions. Being an avid fan of Hong Kong style congee, I expected similar, however the texture was foreign to me. Rather than being somewhat like a porridge, it was closer to a rice pudding, with the rice having kind of gelatinised and congealed into a quasi solidified paste. The sharp taste of pickled cucumber and the abundance of sesame oil meant that the taste was far stronger than the usual comforting homey taste of chicken congee. It was an interesting taste on an old classic, but next time I'll probably stick to the safer options.

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10

tbsp. Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment