Wednesday 2 January 2019

Espresso & Matcha's Epicurean Quest - Melbourne: Sakura Kaiten II



Having now gone on so many interstate trips with my trusty colleague, Iron Fist, we've gotten to a stage where we not only seek out new and fun places to eat at, we also make a point to revisit old favourites which have made an impression on our travels. I was fairly surprised though when he mentioned that one of the highlights in Melbourne for him was the dinner we had last year at Sakura Kaiten on Little Collins Street. I guess this must have been a popular opinion with a fair amount of locals as we realised that they opened a second store nearby along Londsdale Street, a stones throw away from work, so off we went for our lunch break.


Again, decor was funky and vibrant. I did miss the Studio Ghibli theme of the original store though.


As before, sushi can be obtained via the train tracks or ordered via ipad.


Special orders were then served on the express bus above the regular tracks.


First up I had the Unagi Nigiri, a personal favourite. Unagi was definitely fresh and tasty, but portions were a bit small. I liked that the marinate had infused deeply into the flesh without too much excess sauce on top of the sushi.


Wanting to try something new, I opted for aburi kingfish with cheese. The fish was quite toasted as was the rice unfortunately. The cheese though, was not as melted as it could have been, but still was fairly creamy. A little too on the adventurous side, I probably wouldn't have this again.


Being a fan of chutoro, I had two servings along with one serve of salmon avocado. The Chutoro was thin sliced, quite fatty but not enough to have that melt-in-your-mouth texture, I've definitely had better in Brisbane. The salmon was far more generously cut and avocado was ripe too, but I would have liked a bit less mayonnaise on the dish.


Always a fan of salmon, I had a salmon with lobster salad and salmon with ikura. Like the salmon nigiri, the cuts were more generous and both toppings were quite fresh. I especially enjoyed the salmon ikura with its crunchy popping goodness in my mouth.


Rounded off with the classic salmon nigiri. Unfortunately this cut wasn't as fresh as the others from that day and judging by the sag and temperature of the fish, it seemed like it had been out for a while before I had it. Next time I'll stick to ordering off the ipad rather than picking up dishes off the train.



Price Range: $2.80 - $6.80 per plate

Taste: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10


Sakura Kaiten Sushi II Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment