Tuesday 1 January 2019

Espresso & Matcha's Epicurean Quest - Melbourne: Wooga


Time for some quick write ups of my interstate trips throughout the year, both for work and for pleasure. First up was a dinner at the very popular Korean BBQ joint Wooga, on one of my earlier trips to Melbourne. Feeling in the mood for KBBQ, I made a point to do my research and found there to be a considerable number of Korean restaurants all situated along Victoria Street, North Melbourne just above Queen Vic Markets. It was extremely busy that evening, luckily we had made a reservation beforehand.



The menu was, as you would expect, indulgently meaty and probably not too suitable for vegetarians. I found it to be wonderfully suited to my tastes. I particularly liked the combo deals, saving me some decision making when ordering.


The BBQ comprised of a mesh net above a gas grill. Efficient and to the point.


Sides included kimchi which was somehow extremely sweet, sprouts and shaved radish. Frankly, I prefer my kimchi to be savoury and spicy rather than how sweet it was.


Standard BBQ sauces were also provided.



Our meats soon came out. The three beef dishes made up Combo A, a beef set for two. It had Beef Rib, Marinated Flank Skirt and Marinated Wagyu Brisket. The marinate was traditional sweet soy with lots of garlic and sesame. I liked that the rib and flank were lean cuts that I could eat without much guilt, bonus points for not being overly chewy either. My favourite cut of the night though would have to be the marinated brisket. It was shaved to a delicate thinness which ensured that even more of the marinade was infused into the meat. Although fattier than the other cuts, it was undeniably more enjoyable.



The combo also came with some green salad. Portions were ample and salad was fresh. I liked the tangy dressing on top too.


Spicy miso was also provided. It wasn't overly spicy, but the miso was strong and tasty, toppings of cucumber, tofu, onion and cabbage were also filling and I quite enjoyed it.


Not wanting to just have a meal of beef alone, we also ordered a serve of pork belly. A serve turned out to be two pieces. Grilled over the open flame, I was able to sear it to a point where the skin was deliciously crisp. Coupled with the BBQ sauces made for a delightful meaty addition to the meal.


Not one to miss an opportunity for kimchi pancake, I also opted for a slice. It was quite toasted upon arrival and had a fair amount of shallots and kimchi. Again, it was surprisingly sweet compared to the ones I've had in Brisbane, but the crisp texture was enjoyable nonetheless.


Price Range: $35 - $45pp

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10


Wooga Korean Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment