Saturday 5 January 2019

Espresso & Matcha's Epicurean Quest - Melbourne: Kitchen Republik


Readers will by now know how cynical I can often be when a place boasts its competence in numerous cuisines. It is often met with a sharp response of "aim to do one thing only, and to do it well". Which is why I often avoid those type of restaurants. However when in town, I do like to take on locals advice, and when a colleague decided to take Iron Fist and I to Kitchen Republik, I decided to keep an open mind.


Arriving mid morning, after the breakfast rush and before the lunch crowds, she says that it was very lucky for us to have been able to score seating without lining up. 


The breakfast menu comprised of food from quite a few places dear to me, my home, Hong Kong and (one of my many) spiritual home, Taiwan. Apparently their full menu also contains Singaporean, Malaysian and Chinese food too.


Drinks menu was of course extensive, and I would have enjoyed almost all the options available. It was a hard choice to make.


Efficiently, as you would expect in Box Hill, ordering was done via a form where you indicated the codes on the menu and provided additional notes where required, providing the clarity of a written order along with flexibility for adjustments.


Iron Fist ordered a serve of HK style french toast. It came out perfectly fried to the ideal golden brown. Topped with a square of butter and served with a side of maple syrup. Sneaking a bite, it definitely took me back to memories of home and a blissful childhood with its crisp exterior and fluffy soft interior.


I had a bowl of intestines vermicelli soup, a traditional Taiwanese brekky. Though in my travels it is normally served with a considerable amount of condiments (such as garlic), the taste was authentic. Soup was rich, thick and hearty. The misua vermicelli held its composition well in the soup whilst the intestines were delectably chewy.


We also shared a plate of pan fried gyoza. The skin here was a little thicker than I would have liked, and the fillings could have been juicier, however the base was quite crispy and the decorative base was crisp. The meat and vege inside were also reasonably fresh.



Drinks wise he had the HK style coffee whilst I had HK style milk tea with reduced sugar. Both were strong like the ones at home and made traditionally with condensed milk. I really liked it and immediately regretted not getting an extra one take away on my way out.


Price Range: $10 - $25pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 7/10

Kitchen Republik Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment