Sunday 16 July 2017

Espresso & Matcha's Delectable Tarriance - Melbourne: 38 Chairs


As I may have mentioned in a previous post, there is nowhere better in Australia for Italian food than in Melbourne. Which is why I make a point to fit at least one meal of Italian every time I go down. Now one store which has definitely been on my list since first hearing of it is the exclusive Thirty Eight Chairs in South Yarra. Like its name suggests, there are only thirty eight chairs in the whole restaurant, so we made sure to book a table early on. 



Arriving just before 6, the restaurant was somewhat empty when we arrived, but filled up very quickly after our arrival. 



Menus were provided very quickly, and the daily specials were written on the wall, but since I was so excited about going, I had already perused the menu and made up my mind well in advance. 


My companion, ever the red wine fan, got one to start. 


To start we shared s 2x2 Salumi + Formaggi platter where we could choose our own meats and cheeses. To share we had the Truffle pecorino, buffalo mozzarella, wagyu bresola and prosciutto parma. In terms of cheese, the buffalo mozarella was extremely watery, but mild and stringy, our favourite of the two was the truffle pecorino which was crumbly, and had strong bite along with a heavy truffle scent. 


We also ordered a basket of bread to go with our antipasti platter. Having gone to quite a few Italian places in Melbourne before, I was a little surprised that it wasnt included complimentary, but it was quite fresh and warm. 


For his main, my companion ordered the Fusilli con pesto di basilica, being fusilli with basil pesto, ricotta and green beans. The fresh pasta was very filling and he really enjoyed his meal. 


My main was the Fettuccine all’uovo con funghi, being egg fettuccine served with wild mushroom ragu, truffle oil. Despite how unusual it was for me to eat a vegetarian dish, I absolutely loved it. It the pasta was a little softer than al dente, just the way I like it, the mushrooms were well seasoned and the truffle was super strong, making a super rich and indulgent meal. 


Despite the fact that I was quite full, there was no way I would have skipped desserts when Tiramisu was on the menu. The tiramisu came in a beautiful glass and had very smooth mascarpone cheese with liqueur infused lady finger pieces. It was a fantastic ending to a spectacular meal. 


Price Range: $30 - $50pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 8/10


Thirty Eight Chairs Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment