Thursday 13 July 2017

Espresso & Matcha's Delectable Tarriance - Melbourne: Tookaiya


After going to Sydney last time, our most recent Melbourne trip was far more organised. Leaving the airport after a morning flight, we grabbed lunch at Tookaiya, a popular Japanese restaurant not far from the Airport. Readers would remember my last failed quest to find satisfying Japanese food in Melbourne CBD. Not willing to give up, we did our research and tried again.


Arriving a little early for lunch, we were quickly ushered in and seated. I really like the dark mahogany style of the restaurant, but was a little disappointed when I realised the chef and staff were Cantonese rather than Japanese.


 

Menus were provided very quickly. We had a huge variety of choices, but unfortunately there was little option to make alterations to the lunch menu, so I settled on a la carte.


Water was provided soon after ordering. I found the plate to be quite cute with its cherry blossom design.


I started my meal with a small sashimi platter, containing a selection of salmon, barramundi, tuna and kingfish. The cuts were small and thin, but quite fresh, which I enjoyed, I only wish there was a little more.


My companion got a tuna roll, which was interestingly cooked tuna (I had expected raw). It also contained cucumber and carrots. For the price, it was larger than we had expected and filled him up for the afternoon ahead.


Wanting something more than sushi, I opted for a serve of tempura udon. The tempura came separate from the soup, which automatically gets my tick of approval. The tempura consisted of two prawns and some assorted veges. There were more veges also in the pot of steaming hot udon. Although a little more expensive than the usual udon, it was also considerably larger in size. The noodles were tender but not overly soft, the soup a little bland, but the tempura fresh and crunchy.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10


Tookaiya Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment