Tuesday 4 July 2017

Gerard's Bistro - Fortitude Valley


Since starting out on my brunchy adventures across Brisbane, I have slowly been compiling a list of all the places that I want to go, and then apportion my Saturday mornings in accordance with the list. Without a doubt Gerard's Bistro has long been on my list, but I hadn't scheduled it for at least a couple months. That is until I heard from Queen V that it was ceasing to run its breakfast offerings after this weekend. With that in mind, we gave up on our Saturday morning in to play computer games and made a reservation to go immediately.


Arriving 10 minutes earlier than our 10am reservation, we found it to be quite full, both inside and out. No doubt a good number of the customers had heard about this being the last breakfast offering.



Grabbing a table inside, we found it to be a little more dimly lit than we would have liked (although in the end it didn't impact on our foodie photos).


The menu was very brief with several sweet, savory, hot and cold options for breakfast. But considering the freezing cold weather, we opted for hot and savory (of course). As for drinks, the standard coffee was available, along with a couple more exotic options.

 

As this was potentially the first and last time for us to have breakfast at Gerard's we went for the exotic when it came to drinks. Queen V had the Virgin Bloody Mary, whereas I had the Limonana. She really enjoyed the bloody mary, and noted that it had very strong flavours. In addition to the standard tomato, there was also copious amounts of capsicum paste, creating quite a symphony of tastes. I also liked my Limonana, which was a refreshing hit of lemon with soda water and mint leaves. I found it intriguing that it was completely unsugared, but that was a welcome change for me.


Our food came soon after the drinks. We ordered two breakfasts to share. This was the Shakshouka, being eggs baked in tomato and red peppers, merguez, labne and herbs. Like the drinks, it was a sensory overload for me. The eggs were a little runnier than I would have liked, but the tomato and peppers really made it a super strong tasting dish, and to this I really appreciated the labne on top, which mellowed it out and balanced it for me. The bread was lightly toasted and crunchy on the outside, which I also enjoyed.


Our second dish was the Baghdad Eggs, which were fried in cumin, garlic, mint and lemon on flatbread with tahini yoghurt. The flatbread on which it was fried was a little dry and brittle, so we were not able to wrap up the egg to eat. I absolutely loved the garlic and cumin eggs, noting that they were cooked to a good consistency which I really enjoyed. The lemon gave it some zing, and the yoghurt was very creamy and delicious.

Price range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10

Gerard's Bistro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment