Saturday 13 January 2018

Espresso & Matcha's Saporous Expedition - Sydney: Black Star Pastry CBD


Finishing off my quest to go to ALL the Black Star Pastries in Sydney, I now come to review the one that started my craze, and the one that I actually frequent the most (when I am in Sydney of course), being the one situated in my favourite bookstore, Kinokuniya in the Galleries of Sydney CBD.


After landing in Sydney and checking into our hotel nearby the first thing we knew we had to do was to head down there and stock up on cake for the next few days. Being conveniently lunchtime, the place was packed. 



What captured our attention, as always was the large quantities of their infamous strawberry watermelon cake. I guess when space is limited, its best to showcase what you're best at. So of course the TWO of us ordered a cake for SIX to gorge on as a midnight snack.


Not wanting to forgo the perfect lunch opportunity, we also ordered some food to have in the extremely packed store.



Despite the small shopfront, savoury options were available, including pies and pastries.


After the long wait to order, there was an even longer wait to get a table. Our only comfort was the sparkling water on tap, which never ceases to impress this simple girl.


After Iron Fist's try last time, I was keen to taste how good their pies were, so I ordered a beef one to share with Queen V. To my pleasure, the pastry was extremely delicious and flakey without being oily. Inside, the meat was wonderfully stringy and moist with a tasty gravy base to it, making this one of the best pies I had ever had. 



Not wanting to give up any opportunity to eat cake, we also had a slice of sesame chiffon to share. I really enjoyed the light fluffy chiffon, and the light sesame flavour that it had. The icing was also quite delicious, being not overly thick like other cafes. The use of both black and white sesames on top gave it extra texture and made it all the more adorable.

Also, I'm not going to post a picture of my eating three peoples portion of strawberry watermelon cake, but you can trust that it was epic.

Price Range: $5 - $20pp

Taste: 9/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10

Black Star Pastry Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment