Friday 5 January 2018

Espresso & Matcha's Saporous Expedition - Sydney: Black Star Pastry Newtown


Further to my quest to eat at every single black star pastry, when Iron Fist and I found ourselves driving past Newtown, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to drop in to get some much needed sustenance. 


The storefront was absolutely tiny, with only three or so little tables to sit at. 


In the cake display cabinet, there was no doubt of the focus, signature strawberry watermelon cake.


 In contrast the pastry cabinet was far more diversified with both sweet and savory selections. 


Ordering at the counter, I also noted they offered sparkling water on tap, a definite plus in my books, and a constant theme across all the black star pastries. 


Wanting to make sure I didn't overload myself with sweetness, I ordered a hojicha. The tea was well toasted and had an almost caramel fragrance to it, which I really enjoyed. 



Iron fist ordered a funny looking lamb pie. It was reportedly very flakey and the lamb was good quality, hand shredded and not minced. He really enjoyed it. 


Of course I had the strawberry watermelon cake. As expected, it was very fresh, the watermelon giving it crunch and the strawberry giving it a delectable sweet fragrance. I am always very impressed at the high level of consistency in which they can perform, given the multitude of variables which could affect the outcome. 


Wanting to try out something else from their cake selection, I also ordered a Bread and Butter Pudding. This was slightly heated send and served with a sweet cream dipping sauce. Oddly it tasted a bit like a cross between a chiffon cupcake and raisin toast. It was definitely fluffy in texture, but it also had a dense buttery taste with a lot of raisins sprinkled through. A novel experience, but next time I will stick to that more standard types of cake.

Price Range: $10 - $25pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 9/10




  Black Star Pastry Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment