Monday 22 January 2018

Espresso & Matcha's Saporous Expedition - Sydney: Koi Dessert Bar Chippendale



As alluded to in my review of the Dining Room, Queen V and I had other plans for dessert in the afternoon. Unfortunately that afternoon, it decided to rain, and being the self sacrificing bestie that I was, I offered to make the trek over to Koi Dessert Bar in Chippendale to buy some afternoon tea back to our hotel (because you know I would walk almost any distance in any weather for the promise of great cake).



Owned by the famous MasterChef Dessert King Reynold Poernomo, I was bedazzled from the moment I stepped into the store. I LOVED THE CAKES HERE. If there is indeed a heaven, this is what it would look like.

  

After much internal screaming and excitement (which no doubt unnerved the other patrons), I joined the queue and went about the hard task of choosing what to order.


Luckily for me, the staff were well prepared for my taking the cakes back through the rain, and gave me a plastic bag in which to carry my box of treasure. 


Which is why they arrived back in our hotel room in pristine condition (and didn't melt from my body heat of holding them so close too, which is always a plus).


Queen V chose to have the Apple, a smoked apple mousse with apple cinnamon confit. It came in a perfect glossy red apple shape, with a delectable glaze that was a pleasure to behold. Breaking into it (we really should have used a knife, but they were in short supply in our hotel), we appreciated the beauty of the mousse and the confit centre inside of the crisp outer shell. Being wonderfully fruity and yet creamy, it captured all the elements that you would want from an apple, and made for an astounding dessert.


I opted for a Mandarin for my first cake, which comprised of a Mandarin mousse with vanilla and pineapple. Compared to the apple, the mandarin's skin was far more robust and we didn't damage it too much when breaking it apart. The mousse was delightfully citrusy and struck the right balance of being sweet and sour. I liked the fragrance of vanilla, and the added complexity of pineapple to make it all the more fresh and juicy. 


My second choice of cake was my all time favourite, Tiramisu. With chocolate crumb, lady finger, coffee syrup, tiramisu mousse, espresso micro sponge, coffee jelly and milk chocolate crisp balls, it was one of the most luxurious tiramisu's I've ever had. The crumbs, jelly and crispy wafer balls gave it an amazing texture without detracting from its original tastes. The mousse was exceptionally smooth and rich, and there was a wonderful harmony between both chocolate and coffee elements in the jar. J'taime.


Of course, I washed this down with my standard cappuccino without sugar. It was sufficiently strong, with a creamy milk, but the foam didn't last all the way back to the hotel (obviously). Nevertheless, it was a great drink to go with the fabulous cakes.


Price Range: $10 - $25pp

Taste: 9/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 9/10

KOI Dessert Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment