Wednesday 24 January 2018

Espresso & Matcha's Saporous Expedition - Sydney: Blaq Pig


A few of my readers will have known by now, if I only had one chance to eat breakfast in Sydney, I would never go anywhere but Cafe CreAsion. Unfortunately for Iron Fist, he has long grown bored of Matcha (I can't believe it either), but once when I went to CreAsion for breakfast, he popped next door at Blaq Pig to sample the food, and came back with nothing but compliments. So, given the luxury of a week long trip with Queen V, I finally made the time to go grab brekky there.





Arriving somewhat early in the morning, I was pleased to see it being quite popular and around two thirds full with both inside and outside seating.



Of course, by now you would have expected that I asked for inside seating. Which is what we got.



Two menus were provided, a standard one and a daily special. Whilst the specials seemed interesting, we were happy to order from the standard brekky menu. Service was fast and attentive.


Our food arrived very quickly.



Queen V ordered the breakfast plate, containing avocado, haloumi, bacon, slow poached eggs, tomato relish and rye soldiers. For $18 it was definitely a steal. You could not buy this in Brisbane for the same price. The meal itself was also executed remarkably well, with eggs being poached to a wonderful consistency, and the avocado was very ripe, although the bacon was very salty. 



Opting for a lighter alternative, I had the Truffled eggs, which came with mushrooms, bacon and a piece of sourdough. The truffle flavour was a little lighter than I expected, but the scrambled eggs had a wonderfully smooth but textured consistency. Mushrooms were well seasoned and toast was done well, although bacon was again very salty. Despite wanting to go for the less oily option, I was surprised to see the considerable grease left on my plate once I was done. 

After a considerable wait, our drinks then arrived. That is when things started to go downhill unfortunately.


Queen V ordered a cappuccino. The coco was clearly not carefully sprinkled, with half a cup being overdone and the other half empty. She also remarked that it was very weak and barely warm, but seeing as the waitress was flat out busy, she drank the coffee rather than sending it back.


Asking for a pour over, they apparently didn't do it, and instead I was served a long black with a side of milk. What Queen V lacked in the strength of her coffee, I got. It was exceptionally bitter and borderline unpalatable, being very very burnt. The milk didn't help either, but at least it was hot. 

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 7/10 (if it hadn't been for the coffees, this would surely have been at least an 8.5)
Value:8/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 8/10

Blaq Piq Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment