Wednesday 31 January 2018

Espresso & Matcha's Saporous Expedition - Perth: La Veen


The next day, Iron Fist and I found ourselves prowling the streets of Perth looking for a hearty breakfast (despite last night's epic dinner). Wandering through the classic colonial style buildings on King Street, we noticed that La Veen had started to fill up, despite the early hour. Readers will know by now that in deciding which restaurants to try, I find that following the crowd is often a safe bet, so we headed inside to see for ourselves. 

 

Inside we were served immediately, given a table and instructed to order by the counter. I liked their all day menu, and the semi customisable eggs, which we eventually ordered.


Other than the standard cooked food, there were also an assortment of pastries and muffins, which we didn't order, although Iron Fist was sorely tempted to.



Our coffees arrived soon enough, and we had our usuals, a flat white for him and a cappuccino for me. We were both pretty impressed with the elaborate latte art, which was quite pretty and intricate in design. Coffee was strong and rich, making it the best I've had yet in Perth. Iron Fist liked it so much he ordered another one to have take away.



Our food came not long afterwards, and looked also very impressive. 


Both of us ordered the Eggs your way, and he had his poached, however he had the C set of extras whilst I had the B. His extras included mushrooms, chorizo and his favourite thick cut bacon. All of the fried goods were very well done, leaning towards the more overdone than the underdone end of the spectrum, but he enjoyed the crispiness of them. Seizing the chance to steal some of his mushrooms, I found them well seasoned and very tender.


I opted for my eggs to be fried, and with a B set, consisting of avocado (yes I'll never be able to afford a house), salmon and feta. Expecting regular fried eggs with a crispy bottom, I was surprised to be served eggs which reminded me strongly of that which you would find in a Mcdonalds McMuffin with its perfectly rounded shape and evident lack of a crispy bottom. Despite the lack of crispiness, it was still thoroughly enjoyable, with the yolks having a thick but still runny consistency. The avocado was ripe and the salmon was quite fresh and cool, but I didn't particularly like the taste of strong feta so early in the morning (but unfortunately couldn't opt out as the sides were in fixed sets), so Iron Fist took one for the team and finished it for me.

Price Range: $20 - $25pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10


La Veen Coffee & Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment