Sunday 14 January 2018

Espresso & Matcha's Saporous Expedition - Sydney: Masuya Suisan


On several of the trips that I had taken with Iron Fist to Sydney, sometimes we have stayed in the Metro Hotel, which overlooks Campbell Street. Every time we go, I look down from the hotel room to see considerable crowds at Masuya Suisan downstairs and make a note that I ought to try it, but as always, I had already made a booking of some sort and we never got the chance. So this time when I went with Queen V, I made a point to go and try it out (Sorry, Iron Fist, I'll have to go with you some other time ;).




Noting the significant crowds, I made a point to book ahead. Rather than being free to choose a time, I was advised that there were only 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock options. So we settled for 6, and arrived to a full house. Decor drew an interesting mix between traditional and contemporary setup, and it was a bit of a shame that we couldn't sit in front of the sashimi chef, but we were already pretty happy to get a table.





We were given three menus to peruse. A specials menu, a standard menu and a drinks menu. I particularly appreciate the sashimi guides which give a good indication as to which fish are in season in which months. The standard menu comprised of so many options, and I had a real difficulty in deciding what to order, I guess I will definitely have to come back and try something else with Iron Fist at a later date.


Drinks wise, we both settled for the non alcoholic yuzu green tea. It was refreshing and mildly sweet, drawing a nice balance between fruit juice and tea. Whilst I appreciated the delicious matcha taste in the drink though, the granules of matcha in the drink weren't ideal, and I would have liked if the drink were more strained. 


We started our meal with a deluxe sashimi. Though neither of us are oyster fans, we were told that no alterations are allowed, so we settled with what we got. There were quite a few cuts of sashimi on the plate, including the aforementioned oyster, salmon, salmon belly, tuna, kingfish, cod, scallop and calamari. The highlight of the dish would have in no doubt been the scallop, which was very fresh and tender. Queen V really enjoyed the denser meatier tuna.


Despite the beauty of the deluxe sashimi. We were only there for one thing and it was glorious. 









This was the Yukimi Wagyu Hot Pot (aka garlic milk wagyu hotpot). We ordered this with a side of udon, and it came with three sauces, miso, chilli and GARLIC (which I completely did not over indulge on). The milk and garlic broth was unlike anything I had ever experienced in a hot pot, with curds forming almost like a cheese, it reminded me of a light fondue. This complemented the super tender wagyu, crab sticks and shiitake mushrooms and cabbage really well without overpowering any of the elements. It also served as a delightful broth for the delicious udon.

Price Range: $20 - $40pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10


Masuya Suisan Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment